May 3, 2005

One foot in front of the other

I did it. I went for the walk. This seemingly minor act is all about something much bigger, as anyone who struggles with this stuff knows. It's about overcoming all those forces--exhaustion, entropy, athletic socks left behind at home, depression, stress, the sheer brutal longing to give oneself a break because nothing else in life is, goddamnit--and acknowledging: OK, today is no better day to exercise than yesterday was, but today the costs of not taking care of myself are too high.

Today I will try to repeat the miracle.

5 comments:

  1. GOOD JOB! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD JOB! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violet,

    Nice job. It's tough to reinitiate an exercise routine, but bravo for taking the literal and proverbial first steps. (And I say this with complete empathy, because I had to drag my arse to the gym tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys :) My current strategy is to allow myself to feel absurdly proud of extremely small accomplishments. This seems like a valid approach for all of us, considering the various Mount Everests we climb day by day.

    ReplyDelete