December 16, 2005

Wonder if she heard the slurping

3:00 p.m.: 320. Retested, changed set (it was time anyway), took Nellie’s suggested correction.

4:30: 56. In middle of telephone meeting with boss. Drank juice box while talking around the straw about strategy for editorial staffing. Trembled. Ran out of juice. Perspired profusely. Drank Mr. Brooklyn’s coke.

4:45: 127. Wished boss a merry Christmas.

New theory: correction ratio changes during 4th week of BC pill pack (the placebo week, the ones nobody actually bothers to take). This could make sense. All my carb ratios change then too because my insulin resistance plummets when I’m not swallowing estrogen every day. If the correction ratio moves from, say, 1:80 to 1:120 (sheesh), that would account for swinging 264 points in 1.5 freaking hours. (Note to self: evaluate birth control options. This ain’t worth it.)

Why didn’t I terminate the phone meeting until I knew I was okay? I’m afraid to have diabetes interfere with my work. The boss is supportive, but she doesn’t understand the disease well, and I don’t want her to think I’m gonna get clobbered by hypos in the middle of important meetings at random intervals. Which, obviously, can happen. Had I been 56 and unable to reach carbs, I would of course have hung up the phone. Cordless saved me.

Then again, it’s not really a bad idea to be in touch with another human when you’re low. Errr, even if that person has no idea it’s happening? Violet, tired and cranky, does not know.

5 comments:

  1. Violet, your theory about estrogen and its impact on insulin resistance really makes sense-- since we're talking about two hormones here, and whenever you experience hormonal surges of one, it does tend to impact the action of others...

    Although, have you looked at your correction ratio relative to time of day corrections are given? In other words, we've found that Joseph's ISF does vary depending on time of day (i.e., he is much more insulin sensitive late afternoon than earlier in the day).

    This might be yet another contributing factor.

    Hope you figure this one out soon... just hate those random, unexplained lows. Well, actually, I hate all lows, but this kind in particular.

    Hang in there,

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how so many of our diabetes experiences are "universal..."

    I once sat in a meeting with my boss (who had no clue about diabetes at all -- she thought I had a "touch of sugar" and insisted that if I regulated my diet, I could rid myself of it...). I knew I was dropping fast. I thought, if I can just get through the next five minutes -- I'll be fine. Well, I wasn't fine. I stepped out of her office, stumbled into a trash can, and landed on my sore -- and too low to be embarassed -- bum.

    Luckily, a coworker with a better handle on my condition stepped in with a can of orange soda and a sense of humor that eased my mortification.

    Work is a certainly a challenge sometimes. It's irritating to have to explain what a pump is, why it alarms sometimes... and forget even trying to express what a balancing act diabetes is and how elevated stress, lack of sleep, skipping lunch can throw your whole day into chaos.

    I admire your tenacity with your disease -- it's something we have in common. You'll figure this out... And then, you know, another mystery will crop up for solving.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talk a lot at work. And I say, from what I've been told, strange things. Colorful, imaginative things.

    But when I'm experiencing a low, I talk a lot. And I say strange things. Colorful, imaginative things...

    ... And my co-workers sometimes look at me, wondering if they should laugh or get me a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, ack, no, I have not looked at correction factor at different times of day. Egads, how many variables can a person account for??? Thank you for the tip.

    It seems hard to test the correction factor, yes? You have to be high but also know how much insulin is already on board, and...oh, it makes me very very tired.

    Nicole, it's very good to meet you. Having just peeked at your blog I think we do have a thing or two in common.

    K...you're always making me laugh or gulp or sometimes both. How do you do that, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Violet, I know what you mean about not wanting lows to interfere with work. I have had coworkers say they could tell when I was acting a bit spacy, and they have suggested that I not interact with clients in these instances!

    Sometimes, I have said something bizzare, only to realize later...shit, I was low!! Why did I do that???

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete